The practice of the profession of architecture is defined as rendering or offering to render services which require the application of the art, science, and aesthetics of design and construction of buildings, groups of buildings, including their components and appurtenances and the spaces around them wherein the safeguarding of life, health, property, and public welfare is concerned. Such services include, but are not limited to consultation, evaluation, planning, the provision of preliminary studies, designs, construction documents, construction management, and the administration of construction contracts.
To be licensed as an architect in New York State you must:
- Be of good moral character
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Meet education, experience, and examination requirements.
The latest information and requirements for licensure are available on the website of the New York State Education Department, Office of the Professions at http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/arch/.
Fees: (as of September 10, 2012)
- The fee depends on which approach you select:
- Licensure via NCARB licensing examination; Endorsement of a license in another jurisdiction or NCARB certification - $377
- Ten years of lawful practice as Principal in your own architecture firm, without having attempted an NCARB examination - $587
- Limited permit to work on a specific project in New York if you do not have an established business or are not a resident of the state - $347
Licenses Issued and Active
In 2010, there were 683 licenses issued for this occupation.
In 2011, there were 685 licenses issued for this occupation.
New York State Education Department
Office of the Professions
Division of Professional Licensing Services
89 Washington Avenue
Albany, New York 12234
Phone: (518) 474-3817 Ext. 250
Standard Occupational Classification
17-1011.00 - Architects, Except Landscape and Naval
To learn more about this occupation search the Occupational Information Network (O*Net).
Society of American Registered Architects
305 E. 46th Street
New York, NY 10017
Phone: (212) 355-6555
Fax: (212) 355-6919
National Architectural Accrediting Board, Inc.
1735 New York Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20006
Phone: (202) 783-2007
Fax: (202) 783-2822
Fees stated and other information contained in this report are subject to change. Please contact the licensing authority listed above for the most current information.
This page was last updated on 10/4/12.
Thanks for the feedback! It will help us improve your experience.