Certified Dental Assistant
A New York State-licensed/certified dental assistant may perform the following supportive dental services under the direct supervision of a New York State-licensed dentist:
- Provide patient education
- Take preliminary medical histories and vital signs to be reviewed by the dentist
- Place and remove rubber dams
- Select and prefit provisional crowns
- Select and prefit orthodontic bands
- Remove orthodontic arch wires and ligature ties
- Place and remove matrix bands
- Take impressions for study casts or diagnostic casts
- Remove periodontal dressings
- Remove sutures placed by a licensed dentist
- Take impressions for space maintainers, orthodontic appliances, and occlusal guards
- Remove temporary cement (not including temporary fillings)
- Apply topical anticariogenic agents to the teeth
- Apply desensitizing agents to the teeth
- Place and remove temporary separating devices
- Place orthodontic ligatures
Perform such other dental services as Section 61.13 of the Regulations of the New York State Commissioner of Education may authorize.
Both the employer and the employee may be charged with professional misconduct if a dental assistant is employed without a New York State license or limited permit and performs functions for which a license as a New York State-licensed/certified dental assistant is required. Licensed professionals are responsible for reporting illegal practice.
An applicant must file an application for licensure/registration with the New York State Education Department, Office of the Professions, to practice as a dental assistant in New York State. The latest information and requirements for licensure are available on the New York State Education Department's Office of the Professions website at http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/dent/dentcdalic.htm.
Licenses Issued and Active
From January 1, 2009 to December 31, 2009, there were 106 licenses issued for this occupation.
As of January 3, 2012, there were 1,120 currently registered licenses for this occupation.
Standard Occupational Classification
31-9091 - Dental Assistants
To learn more about this occupation search the Occupational Information Network (O*Net).
American Dental Assistants Association
Division of Education and Professional Development
35 East Wacker Drive, Suite 1730
Chicago, Illinois 60601-2211
Phone: (312) 541-1550
Fax: (312) 541-1496
Dental Assisting National Board
444 N. Michigan Ave., Suite 900
Chicago, Illinois 60611
Phone: (312) 642-3368
Tollfree: (800) FOR-DANB
Fax: (312) 642-8507
Fees stated and other information contained in this report are subject to change. Please contact the licensing authority listed above for the most current information.
This page was last updated on 12/6/12.
Thanks for the feedback! It will help us improve your experience.