Skip to Content Skip to Navigation

Certified Public Accountant


Licensed accounting professionals - called certified public accountants (CPAs) or public accountants (PAs) - prepare, evaluate, and attest to the accuracy and completeness of financial statements and related information. Only a licensed CPA or PA may perform the attest function in New York State. CPAs and PAs may also provide tax planning, financial advisory and management advisory services. These particular services may also be provided by unlicensed individuals in NYS. The term "public" in the CPA and PA titles typically refers to third-party reliance on the integrity of the financial information presented by the licensed accountant. However, CPAs and PAs may also be employed in private industry, government, not-for-profit and educational institutions where they apply their professional skills and knowledge to help ensure that the employing entities books, records, management and financial operations are maintained in a manner consistent with applicable standards.

Licensing Requirements

An applicant must file an application for licensure/registration with the New York State Education Department, Office of the Professions, to practice as a certified public accountant in New York State. The latest information and requirements for licensure are available on the New York State Education Department's Office of the Professions website at

Fees: (as of October 2, 2014)

The fee for licensure is $377.

Licenses Issued and Active

In 2012, there were 2,373 licenses issued for this occupation.
In 2013, there were 2,549 licenses issued for this occupation.

Licensing Authority

New York State Education Department
Office of the Professions
Division of Professional Licensing Services
CPA Unit
89 Washington Avenue
Albany, New York 12234
Phone: (518) 474-3817 Ext. 270

Standard Occupational Classification

13-2011 - Accountants and Auditors
To learn more about this occupation search the Occupational Information Network (O*Net).


Fees stated and other information contained in this report are subject to change. Please contact the licensing authority listed above for the most current information.

This page was last updated on 12/02/14.

Thanks for the feedback! It will help us improve your experience.