Weighmasters produce certified weight tickets for bulk commodities sold or transported in the state.
Based on Agriculture and Markets Law section 195:
- No person shall act as a weighmaster, issue or sign any weight tickets, or carry out any of the functions of a weighmaster unless licensed.
- Each weight ticket issued by a weighmaster shall contain the date, full signature and license number of the weighmaster.
- Each weighmaster shall retain a copy of every weight ticket issued for a period of one year.
- No weighmaster shall make or issue a false or incorrect weight ticket, nor shall any person solicit him/her to do so.
- No person shall knowingly use a false or incorrect weight ticket.
No weighmaster shall permit any weight ticket to be issued or used which purports to bear his/her signature and was not in fact signed by him/her, or expresses a weight not ascertained by him/her.
Any person may apply for a weighmaster license. To qualify, the applicant shall provide evidence of:
- Good character;
- Ability to weigh accurately and make correct weight tickets;
- Access to a suitable stationary scale that has been tested and certified by either a State or municipal weights and measures official.
There is a $15 fee that must accompany your application. The fee will be returned if your application is denied.
Licenses Issued and Active:
The Bureau of Weights and Measures annually licenses about 3,000 individuals to certify the accuracy of shipments of bulk commodities like feed and fertilizer.
New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets
Bureau of Weights and Measures
10B Airline Drive
Albany, New York 12235
Phone: (518) 457-3146
Standard Occupational Classification:
43-5111.00 - Weighers, Measurers, Checkers, and Samplers, Recordkeeping
To learn more about this occupation search the Occupational Information Network (O*Net).
Fees stated and other information contained in this report are subject to change. Please contact the licensing authority listed above for the most current information.
This page was last updated on 10/19/12.
Thanks for the feedback! It will help us improve your experience.