Skip to Content Skip to Navigation

Claimant: Frequently Asked Questions

If you owe money to the Department of Labor because you received Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits for which you were not eligible, there is a new address to use to pay your debt.
Please send all payments to:
New York State Department of Labor
Unemployment Insurance Division
PO Box 1195
Albany, NY 12201
Note: This address is for payments ONLY. Make your checks or money orders out to: Unemployment Insurance Division. Do NOT send cash.

The Unemployment Insurance Program is changing to KeyBank for debit card services. For more information, visit If you currently collect benefits on a Chase Direct Payment Card, read a letter to claimants.

Have you received a recent notice from the IRS or the New York State Tax Department about your tax refunds being used to repay your unemployment insurance debt? If so, please note that our agency may not receive these amounts for several weeks. If the amounts taken are more than what you owe you will receive a refund from us. Please allow at least six weeks from the notice date for our office to issue your refund. Refunds will be paid to your Unemployment Insurance benefits card or bank account depending on the payment method associated with your prior claim. Thank you.

See the Top 15 Most Frequently Asked Questions

Or, select from one of these categories:


Thanks for the feedback! It will help us improve your experience.