Crane test links
A Crane Operator Certificate of Competence is required to operate a crane in New York State while operating cranes in connection with construction, demolition and excavation work. This requirement applies to all cranes having a manufacture's maximum rated capacity exceeding five tons or over forty feet of boom length and to all tower cranes.
The NYS Department of Labor License & Certification Unit administers Operational exams for the following classifications of cranes.
- Class A - Unrestricted – Conventional, cable, lattice boom, and friction are names that have been used in reference to this classification. This classification includes all cranes having a fixed lattice boom, with or without free fall capability; conventional tower cranes, derricks and all cranes with free fall capability. Class A allows operation of any crane.
- Class B - Hydraulic – This includes all hydraulic cranes which have a telescopic boom and swinging cab; there is no restriction on maximum manufacturer’s rating. This classification also includes smaller trailer or truck mounted self-erecting tower cranes, as well as boom trucks having over 28 ton manufacturer’s rated capacity. Class B allows operation of B, C & D.
- Class C - Boom Truck – This includes cranes having telescopic booms which are generally truck mounted and up to 28 ton maximum manufacturer’s rated capacity. Class C allows operation of C & D.
- Class D - Restricted Boom Truck – These cranes are also referred to as sign hangers, but their use is not restricted to that industry. This includes cranes having telescopic booms which are generally truck mounted and up to 3 ton maximum manufacturer’s rated capacity, and up to 125 feet of boom. Class D allows operation of D only.
- Class E – Reserved.
- Class F - Line Truck – These cranes are also referred to as digger derricks. It is up to 15 ton maximum manufacturer’s rated capacity, 65 foot maximum boom length, utilizing a non-conductive tip with nylon rope, for use in electrical applications only. Class F allows operation of F only.
Thanks for the feedback! It will help us improve your experience.