Code Rule 56 Related Helpful Information
Code Rule 56 – Asbestos (effective March 21, 2007)
On March 21, 2007, the New York State Department of Labor adopted corrections for Code Rule 56 to incorporate Federal Standards and to correct typographical errors. You can view or print a copy of Code Rule 56 (open in a new window) in PDF format.
New - On April 8, 2011 the New York State Department of Health Environmental Laboratory Approval Program (ELAP) issued a list of frequently asked questions and answers (FAQ) regarding asbestos air/bulk sample collection and analysis methodologies. Recently, ELAP revised this document as it relates to vermiculite bulk sample analysis and has also issued more specific guidance on vermiculite bulk sample analysis.
Below is a link to the revised FAQ document:
The following is a link to the recent vermiculite bulk sample analysis document.
Noteworthy issues covered within these documents include bulk sample analysis methodologies analyzing suspect ceiling tile samples containing cellulose by NOB methodology, surface dust/residue sample collection/analysis, and guidance on bulk sample analysis of vermiculite insulation and vermiculite containing materials, as currently there is no reliable bulk analysis methodology for vermiculite.
Where there are practical difficulties in complying with Code Rule 56, DOL may provide relief in the form of a variance decision. The Asbestos Variances Fact Sheet (open in a new window) explains the types of variances that DOL issues:
- Applicable Variance
- Blanket Variance
- Site-Specific Variance
- Multi-Site Variance
- A currently trained and DOL-certified Project Designer (who works for a DOL-licensed asbestos contractor) must prepare and submit each variance petition
- All new Site-Specific Variance decisions will remain in effect one year from the date of issuance (unless otherwise stated)
- DOL has terminated all Applicable Variances, Blanket Variances and Multi-Site Variances based upon the November 9, 1994 version or earlier versions of Code Rule 56
- All Applicable Variances will be numbered consecutively as AV-A-#.
- Existing Applicable Variances are listed below:
- Controlled Demolition of Municipally-Owned Vacant Residential Buildings/Structures up to 3-Stories in Height AV-A-1 (open in a new window)
- Negative Air Ventilation Exhaust Greater Than 25 Foot in Length AV-A-2 (open in a new window)-
- Non-friable ACM Floor Covering Mastic removal Using Chemical Methods along with Low-speed Floor Buffers AV-A-3 (open in a new window)
- Removal or Cleanup of Intact Minor Size Non-friable ACM Floor Tile AV-A-4 (open in a new window)
Compliance Assistance Documents
The Department of Labor has developed the following Compliance Assistance Documents to supplement Code Rule 56:
- Guidance Document for (v2.0) on Amended Industrial Code Rule 56 AGD-v2.0 (open in a new window)
- Asbestos Variances Fact Sheet AFS-1 (open in a new window)
The Guidance Document is in a question and answer format to help you apply Code Rule 56. DOL revises this document periodically to add new questions and appropriate responses as they develop.
You can submit questions or comments for the Guidance Document to the following email: email@example.com.
Asbestos Control Bureau
The Asbestos Control Bureau enforces Code Rule 56.
If you have any more questions or need further help regarding the Code Rule or any other asbestos matter, please contact your Asbestos District Office from the list below or call the Engineering Services Unit at (518) 457-1536.
ASBESTOS CONTROL BUREAU DISTRICT OFFICES
Counties - Albany, Clinton, Columbia, Dutchess, Essex, Green, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Ulster, Warren, Washington
State Office Campus, Room 157, Albany, NY 12240
(518) 457-1255 (FAX) (518) 485-8054
(518) 457-2072 (FAX)(518) 485-1740 (Field Office)
Counties - Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Erie, Genesee, Livingston, Monroe, Niagara, Ontario, Orleans, Wayne, Wyoming, Yates
65 Court Street, Rm. 405, Buffalo, NY 14202
(716) 847-7601 (716) 847-7126 (FAX) (716) 847-7138
NEW YORK CITY DISTRICT
Counties - Bronx, Kings, Nassau, New York, Queens, Richmond, Suffolk, Westchester
One Hudson Square, 75 Varick Street, 7th Floor, New York, NY 10013
(212) 775-3538 (FAX) (212) 775-3527
Counties - Allegany, Broome, Cayuga, Chemung, Chenango, Cortland, Delaware, Franklin, Fulton, Hamilton, Herkimer, Jefferson, Lewis, Madison, Montgomery, Oneida, Onondaga, Oswego, Otsego, St. Lawrence, Schuyler, Seneca, Steuben, Sullivan, Tioga, Tompkins
450 S. Salina Street, Syracuse, NY 13202
(315) 479-3215 (FAX) (315) 479-3451
State Office Campus, Room 154, Albany, NY 12240
(518) 457-1536 (FAX) (518) 457-1301
"Workplace Safety Begins with You!"
Thanks for the feedback! It will help us improve your experience.