DOSH Engineering Services Unit
Who We Are
The Engineering Services Unit provides engineering support to Division of Safety and Health programs. The ESU staff:
- Reviews plan
- Approves applications
- Issues variances dealing with Department of Labor Code Rules.
Services We Provide
The Engineering Services Unit reviews and approves applications for
- Places of public assembly
- Ski tows and passenger tramways
- Elevators and escalators in factory and mercantile establishments
- Tents and bleachers for 300 or more occupants
- Window cleaning equipment and other devices
Engineering Services also issues variances for:
- Storage of explosives
- Public Employee Safety and Health (PESH) programs
- Asbestos abatement
Public Assembly ESU reviews and approves applications for places of public assembly.
Regulation: State Standard Building Code for Places of Public Assembly (Code Rule 36)
Application Form: Application for Examination of Plans SH 700
Ski Tows and Passenger Tramways ESU reviews and approves applications for ski tows and passenger tramways.
Regulation: Ski Tows and Other Passenger Tramways Code Rule 32
Application Form: Application for Approval of Plans for Aerial Tramway, Chair or Gondola, J-Bar, T- Bar, Rope Tow, Poma Lift, Skimobile, Etc. SH 706
Elevators and Escalators in Factory and Mercantile Establishments ESU reviews and approves applications for elevators and escalators in factory and mercantile establishments.
Regulation: Construction, Guarding, Equipment, Maintenance and Operation of Elevators, Dumbwaiters, Escalators, Hoists and Hoistways in Factories and Mercantile Establishments Code Rule 8Application Form:
- Application for Approval of Plans Hoistways and Hoistway Gates or Doors SH 702
- Application for Approval of Plans for Passenger, Freight, Combination or Sidewalk Elevators, Escalator or Dumbwaiter SH 703
Tents and Bleachers for 300 or More Occupants ESU review and approve applications for tents and bleachers for 300 or more occupants.Regulation:
- State Standard Building Code for Places of Public Assembly Code Rule 36
- Amusement Devices, Viewing Stands and Tents at Carnivals, Fairs and Amusement Parks Code Rule 45
Application Form: Application for Amusement Device, Viewing Stand and/or Tent Permit SH 80
Window Cleaning Equipment ESU reviews and approves applications for window cleaning equipment.
We developed " Window Cleaning Equipment Requirements Guidance" to help in the window cleaning equipment approval process.
Window Cleaning Equipment Requirements Guidance: In New York State, window-cleaning equipment is subject to approval by the Engineering Services Unit. We encourage applicants to meet with ESU representatives before designing, purchasing and installing Window Cleaning Equipment. Contact the ESU office at 518-457-1536 to schedule a pre-application meeting or to ask questions about the approval process.
- General Window Cleaning Equipment Approval Application Checklist
- Updated Window Washing Advisory Standard 101
Regulation: Protection of Persons Employed at Window Cleaning Structural Requirements, Equipment and Procedures Code Rule 21
Application Form: Application for Approval of Material or Device SH 753
Storage of Explosives ESU issue variances for the storage of explosives
Regulation: Possession, Handling, Storage and Transportation of Explosives Code Rule 39
Application Form: Petition for a Variance or Other Relief SH 751
Boiler Installation Variance ESU provides support to the Boiler Safety Bureau by issuing variances for boiler installationsRegulation:
- Low Pressure Boilers Code Rule 4
- Construction, Installation, Inspection and Maintenance of High Pressure Boilers; Construction of Unfired Pressure Vessels Code Rule 14
Application Form: Petition for a Variance or Other Relief SH 751Applicable Variances:
Public Employee Safety and Health (PESH) Programs ESU provides support to the Public Employee Safety and Health (PESH) Bureau by issuing variances and alternative compliance agreements to public employers.
Application Form: Petition for a Permanent Variance or Alternative Complaince Agreement SH 780
Asbestos Abatement The ESU provides support to the Asbestos Control Bureau by issuing variances for asbestos abatement projects. The ESU has issued Applicable Variances for some asbestos abatement projects.
We developed a Guidance Document (AGD-v2.0) on ICR 56 that offers details on variances and how to comply with the asbestos regulation, including the latest Code Rule 56 Revision.
Regulation: Asbestos Code Rule 56
Guidance & Information on Variances for Asbestos Projects: Guidance and Variance Information Code Rule 56
Application Form: Petition for an Asbestos Variance SH 752Applicable Variances:
- Controlled Demolition (Municipal) AV-A-1
- Negative Air Ventilation Exhaust AV-A-2
- Non-friable ACM Floor Covering Mastic removal Using Chemical Methods along with Low-speed Floor Buffers AV-A-3
- Removal or Cleanup of Intact Minor Size Non-friable ACM Floor Tile AV-A-4
"Workplace Safety Begins with You!"
Thanks for the feedback! It will help us improve your experience.