DOSH Public Employee Safety & Health
Click the link below for details on the NIOSH Health Hazard Evaluation Program.
Who we are
The Public Employee Safety and Health Bureau (PESH), created in 1980, enforces safety and health standards promulgated under the United States Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) and several state standards.
The PESH Act created this unit to give occupational safety and health protection to all public sector employees.
Public sector employers include:
- Village governments
- Public Authorities
- School Districts
- Paid and Volunteer Fire Departments
PESH responds to:
- Deaths related to occupational safety and health
- Accidents that send many public employees to the hospital
- Complaints from public employees or their representatives
- Inspects public employer work sites
- Gives technical assistance during statewide emergencies
The Enforcement branch conducts unannounced inspections. The staff will issue a “Notice of Violation and Order to Comply” for any safety and health hazards they find. They set an abatement period for the employers to come into compliance, which they will discuss at a closing conference. If the employer does not comply during the abatement period, we can impose a penalty. The penalty (not to exceed $200 per calendar day) accumulates until compliance is achieved.
The Consultation branch provides free consultation surveys at the request of a public employer. The employer sets the scope of these surveys. We provide a written report that identifies the hazards and recommends ways to correct each hazard. We also offer consultants to help train employees and correct violations cited as a result of an enforcement inspection. All consultation activities are completely separate and kept confidential from the Enforcement Branch.
P206 Consultation Assistance Fact Sheet
PESH also has created strategic work groups for identified high hazard jobs. These groups work with employers to lower the incidence of injuries and illnesses to public employees. Work groups include:
- Fire service
- County Police Departments
- Long term health care
How PESH can help you
- We show employers how to remove workplace hazards, which decrease work time lost by employees and cuts insurance and manpower costs.
- Our training and tech tips for employers help them comply with regulations and make employees safer.
- Our safety and health expertise offers answers to employer questions about safety and health issues or potential hazards of current/proposed equipment or procedures.
- We help employers develop written programs required under an OSHA standard.
- PESH speakers and presentations give employers details on new or existing standards and help educate public sector employers on ways to reduce workplace injuries and illnesses.
New York State or local government employees or their official representatives may file a complaint with the Public Employee Safety and Health Bureau if they believe a violation of a safety or health standard exists at their worksite. Click here to download the form (PESH 7) in PDF format to file a complaint. Mail or fax the completed and signed form to the nearest PESH district office.
Petition to Modify an Abatement Date
A public sector employer may apply for a Petition to Modify an Abatement Date. This applies if the employer is unable to comply with a violation because of unavailability of professional or technical personnel, or of materials and equipment needed to come into compliance.
The employer also must prove that they have:
- Taken all available steps to protect the employees exposed to the hazard
- Started an effective program for coming into compliance as soon as possible.
Click here to download the form (SH 971) in PDF format to file a Petition to Modify an Abatement Date.
Employee Injury and Illness Recordkeeping Information and Forms:
- Log of Work-Related Injuries and Illnesses: SH900
- The Annual Summary: SH 900.1
- Recordkeeping rule: Part 801
- Instructions for Recording and Reporting Public Employees' Occupational Injuries and Illnesses: SH901
- Injury and Illness Incident Report: SH900.2
Please click here to obtain a printable version of the Public Employees Job Safety and Health Protection poster. You must conspicuously post this in your workplace.
PESH Field Operation Manual (FOM) now available:
The Field Operation Manual is used by the PESH Program. For any questions or interpretations of its contents, call PESH at 518-457-5508.
How to Contact Us:
Write or call the local District office for the county where you work. Use the DOSH-Directory page to locate the Division of Safety & Health office in your area.
Albany District Office
State Office Campus, Building 12, Room 158, Albany, NY 12240
Tel. 518-457-5508 FAX 518-485-1150
Counties Served: Albany, Clinton, Columbia, Dutchess, Essex, Greene, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Ulster, Warren and Washington
Binghamton District Office
44 Hawley Street, 9th Floor, Binghamton, NY 13901-4409
Tel. 607-721-8211 FAX 607-721-8207
Counties Served: Allegany, Broome, Chemung, Chenango, Delaware, Otsego, Schuyler, Steuben, Sullivan, Tioga and Tompkins
Buffalo District Office
65 Court Street, Buffalo, NY 14202
Tel. 716-847-7133 FAX 716-847-7108
Counties Served: Cattaraugus,, Chautauqua, Erie amd Niagara
Garden City District Office
400 Oak Street, Suite 101, Garden City, NY 11530
Tel. 516-228-3970 FAX 516-794-7714
Counties Served: Nassau and Suffolk
New York City District Office
One Hudson Square, 75 Varick Street (7th Floor), New York, NY 10013
Tel. 212-775-3548 FAX 212-775-3542
Counties Served: Bronx, Kings, New York, Queens and Richmond
Rochester District Office
109 South Union Street, Room 402, Rochester, NY 14607
Tel. 585-258-4570 FAX 585-258-4593
Counties Served: Genesee, Livingston, Monroe, Ontario, Orleans, Wayne, Wyoming and Yates
Syracuse District Office
450 South Salina Street, Syracuse, NY 13202
Tel. 315-479-3212 FAX 315-479-3451
Counties Served: Cayuga, Cortland, Jefferson, Onondaga, Oswego and Seneca
Utica District Office
207 Genesee Street, Room 701, Utica, NY 13501
Tel. 315-793-2258 FAX 315-793-2303
Counties Served: Chenango Delaware, Franklin, Fulton, Hamilton, Herkimer, Lawrence, Lewis, Madison, Montgomery and Oneida
White Plains District Office
120 Bloomingdale Road, Room 250, White Plains, NY 10605
Tel. 914-997-9514 FAX 914-997-9528
Counties Served: Orange, Putnam, Rockland and Westchester
"Workplace Safety Begins with You!"
Thanks for the feedback! It will help us improve your experience.