(a) Dose limits for individual members of the public.
(1) Each licensee or registrant shall conduct operations so that:
(i) the dose in any unrestricted area from external sources does not exceed 0.02 mSv (0.002 rem) in any one hour; and
(ii) the total effective dose equivalent to individual members of the public from the licensed or registered operation, exclusive of the dose contribution from the licensee's or registrant's disposal of radioactive material into sanitary sewerage in accordance with section 38.20 of this Part (rule), does not exceed 1 mSv (0.1 rem) in a year.
(2) If radioactive materials are released into the air or water by any person in such a manner that the radioactive materials may be reconcentrated in an unrestricted area or may be added to any other radioactive materials released to an unrestricted area, the commissioner may further restrict the release by such person to assure that the limits set forth in this Part (rule) are not exceeded.
(b) Compliance with dose limits for individual members of the public.
(1) The licensee or registrant shall make or cause to be made, surveys of radiation levels in unrestricted areas and radioactive materials in effluents released to unrestricted areas, and shall use the results to evaluate and ensure compliance with the dose limits for individual members of the public in subdivision (a) of this section.
(2) The licensee or registrant shall demonstrate compliance with paragraph (1) of this subdivision by showing by measurement or calculation that:
(i) the total effective dose equivalent to the individual likely to receive the highest dose does not exceed the annual dose limit; or
(ii) the annual average concentrations of radioactive material released at the boundary of the restricted area do not exceed the values specified in Appendix A13, Table II; and, if an individual were continuously present in an unrestricted area, the dose from external sources would not exceed 0.02 mSv (0.002 rem) in an hour and 0.5 mSv (0.05 rem) in a year.
(1) A licensee or registrant shall maintain records of measurements and calculations used to demonstrate compliance with the annual dose limit in subdivision (a) of this section.
Historical Sec. amd. filed June 10, 1971; repealed, new filed July 6, 1978; renum. 38.16, new Note: filed June 9, 1994 eff. June 29, 1994.
Thanks for the feedback! It will help us improve your experience.